It's possible to set up an integration between your Agillic solution and your Google Analytics account. The integration allows you to automatically add pre-defined parameters to all external links from your content. Therefore, you know which of the visits to your website came from Agillic content, as well as which specific outbound communication or portal page the recipient clicked from.
As Google Analytics is a third-party service, Agillic isn't able to offer support on how their service should be used or set up on their sites. Therefore, we refer to the Google Analytics help center or Google Analytics for developers where their own documentation is available.
In this article, we'll go through the following:
- What Google Analytics is in relation to Agillic
- How to set up the Google Analytics integration
- How to change the UTM Campaign
What Google Analytics is in Relation to Agillic
In Agillic, you can set up an integration to Google Analytics. This integration will help auto-generate UTM parameters for your Google Analytics account to read. This allows you to get information about which visitors came from Agillic and which visitors came from outbound communications or portal pages.
The Google Analytics integration is set up under the Integrations section in the Settings module.
The UTM parameters use the following logic for calculation:
|Name||Parameter name in URL||Description||Controlled by||Example of value|
|Campaign Source||utm_source||Identifies the tracking to come from your Agillic instance||The setting in the Integrations section||"Agillic"|
|Campaign Medium||utm_medium||Identifies the type of communication||Automatically set by Agillic||"email", "SMS", or "web"|
|Campaign Name||utm_campaign||Name of the specific communication||Set in the individual email/ page. By default the same name as in Agillic.||"Newsletter - Week 35"|
|Campaign Content||utm_content||Names the specific promotion and proposition||Automatically set by Agillic||
If you add a UTM parameter to a specific link, it will be used instead of the generated value.
For additional parameters, it's also possible to add global link URL parameters. You can learn how to setup Global Link URL Parameters here.
How to set up the Google Analytics Integration
- Log in on the Staging environment.
- Open the Settings module by selecting the settings icon in the top right corner of the screen.
- Under the Integrations section in the left sidebar, select Connectors.
- Scroll to the Google Analytics section.
- Check both boxes, enabling Google Analytics UTM parameters in links from both the Staging and Production environments. You can select the copy icon to replicate the settings for both environments.
- Fill in the UTM source in the 'UTM source name for Agillic' field. This is usually set to 'Agillic' to make it clear when a visit to your website comes from your Agillic instance. If you wish, you can create a comma-separated list of different UTM sources. Then, Agillic will show a drop-down menu in each outbound communication and portal page where you can choose which UTM source to use.
- Click the 'Save' button.
The Google Analytics integration is now complete. From now on, any emails or SMS sent will automatically have the Google Analytics tracking applied.
Google Analytics set up for both Staging and Production
Changes made to the settings only apply for the environment they were changed in. Therefore, the settings should also be changed in the other environment if you wish to publish from there.
How to change the UTM Campaign
When editing an email or web page, the UTM campaign for the links are set to the name of the item by default. To change the UTM campaign to another name, simply write in the 'UTM campaign' field on the item.
The 'UTM campaign' field for an email